Thursday, April 7, 2011

Poem - Leonard Cohen’s “These Heroics"

April 7: Leonard Cohen’s “These Heroics”

April 7: Leonard Cohen’s “These Heroics”

Leonard Cohen, whose work as a songwriter transcends genres and appeals to listeners across the generations, comes before us as a poet in a new Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets Edition. Some of his songs are like poems, and some of his poems are like songs; his rebellious, tender, sardonic voice inheres throughout.


These Heroics

If I had a shining head
and people turned to stare at me
in the streetcars;
and I could stretch my body
through the bright water
and keep abreast of fish and water snakes;
if I could ruin my feathers
in flight before the sun;
do you think that I would remain in this room,
reciting poems to you,
and making outrageous dreams
with the smallest movements of your mouth?



Learn more about Leonard Cohen Poems and Songs

Audio Feature: Live audio of Leonard Cohen reading his poems and singing at the Y in 1966.

Follow this link and scroll down to the "audio MP3" button.

~ From the Borzoi Reader Poem-a-Day promotion.
Audio


Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: