Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Revolutionary Man - Four Practices to Keeping Your Heart Open, Even When It Hurts

Great post from Jayson over at The Revolutionary Man - Four Practices to Keeping Your Heart Open, Even When It Hurts. What Jayson is talking about here, I refer to as living with "warrior heart," after Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. This is the truest practice of masculinity as far as I am concerned.
Recently Bill Harryman blogged about chapter two in David Deida’s book Way of The Superior Man titled “Live with an open heart, even if it hurts.” When I first read this years ago I thought to myself, “Are you nuts?”

Living with your heart open is a rich, unexplored part of the path for most men. Many men keep their heart closed their whole life, never opening up even to their spouse or intimate partner.

I was that guy until about age 30—walking around with a puffed out chest and a closed heart. At the same time was heart was closed, I longed for a deep connection. Little did I know that it was up to me to make the first move.

So, why bother opening my heart?

First, let’s ask it this way; why not open your heart? Ask yourself “what is the worst thing that can happen?” It gets broken? You get hurt again? Many of you already have had a broken heart.

For me, I had a long list of really good reasons why I was not opening up to my girlfriends and why I kept my distance from my male friends. Mostly, I would blame others. “Well, If I knew she was the one, then I would open up to her.”

Believe me, I know it’s painful and it can even sting, but try this on–feeling into your broken heart is the way back to your own aliveness and your freedom.

Then what do I do?

Here are four practices to experiment with opening your heart at home.

Go read the post.


No comments: